Friday 26 September 2014

God's love


For the past week, my devotional reading has been focussing on God’s passionate love for us.

Not only that, but in my small group and other church activities, the love of God has been a focus

I’ve found this frustrating.

While God is love, and he loves us, I sometimes find that we focus far too much on this (see my recent post on worship)

I think God is trying to redeem this aspect of himself in my mind.

I’ve been so concerned about what idea of ‘God loves’ creates in others’ minds, I’ve forgotten what it means to experience God’s love in my own life, and while it is an aspect of God we can get wrong sometimes, it’s something I’ve been missing out on because I’ve been so focussed on how other people see this aspect of him.

One of the passages we explored in small group was Hosea 2:14 – 20
“But then I will win her back once again.
I will lead her into the desert
and speak tenderly to her there.
I will return her vineyards to her
and transform the Valley of Trouble into a gateway of hope.
She will give herself to me there,
as she did long ago when she was young,
when I freed her from her captivity in Egypt.
When that day comes,” says the Lord,
“you will call me ‘my husband’
instead of ‘my master.’
O Israel, I will wipe the many names of Baal from your lips,
and you will never mention them again.
On that day I will make a covenant
with all the wild animals and the birds of the sky
and the animals that scurry along the ground
so they will not harm you.
I will remove all weapons of war from the land,
all swords and bows,
so you can live unafraid
in peace and safety.
I will make you my wife forever,
showing you righteousness and justice,
unfailing love and compassion.
I will be faithful to you and make you mine,
and you will finally know me as the Lord.

We were asked three questions about the passage. What does this show us about God’s love? What does that mean for how we experience God’s love in our lives? And, how should we love others because of this?

The book of Hosea is a really interesting book and I really recommend you read it if you haven’t done already.

Hosea was a prophet of Israel, and God told him to marry a prostitute. God used this as an illustration for Hosea’s prophesy’s; it showed how Israel had behaved towards God and how he would rescue and redeem them, no matter how much they strayed.

These verses speak about how God still loves them and wants to bring them back into a relationship with him.

Israel had really messed up. But God still loved them.

We mess up a lot, but God still loves us and wants to restore us. We have to work hard at the relationship once we’re restored, but he still loves.

God loves by removing danger from our lives. He turns our place of trouble into a place of hope.

And we must share this love with others. By either sharing the message, or following God’s example.

As we read and discussed the passage, I became aware of situations where I had felt betrayed and let down, as Israel betrayed and let God down, but I had not forgiven. If God can forgive our betrayals, surely we can forgive others. It was hard to let go of the hurt, but it’s something I’m working on.

Is there someone you’re not forgiving and loving as God loves you?

What are you going to do about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment